Setting our minds on things above. Colossians 3:2-3
How do we set our minds on things above??
Hebrews 12:1-2 Gives us a GREAT illustration of the HOW????
1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us THROW OFF EVERYTHING that HINDERS and the SIN that so easily ENTANGLES US. And let us run WITH PERSEVERANCE the race marked out for us, 2FIXING OUR EYES ON JESUS. Hebrews 12:1-2a
- Throw Off EVERYTHING that weighs us down. V. 1
- Sin….. it entangles us. Sit with Jesus and ask Him what sin you may have in your life that has entangled and gripped. Rid yourself of the weight of Sin.
- Run with PERSEVERANCE!!! How are we to run?? Despite difficulty and delay in achieving success, we are to RUN toward the Goal.
- What’s the GOAL? Jesus is the goal! FIXING our eye on JESUS!! Keeping our eye LOCKED and FASHIONED on HIM!
“the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the JOY set before him he ENDURED THE CROSS, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”
How did Jesus look at the cross? He looked at it with JOY!! JOY of accomplishing the goal and finishing the race well, and fulfilling His DESIGNED PURPOSE!
- What does the cross bring? Rejection, Hurt, Slander, Slaps to the face. ETC.
Ultimately the cross brings scars. When Jesus resurrected, He showed the disciples His scars to testify of the POWER of God. Scars tell stories, if we use them in right they will ALWAYS point to JESUS!
Luke 9:23 Jesus says, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. Each one of us bear a cross and each cross is differently designed for each person.
- Do we look at the cross we have been given with JOY or dread? Why or Why not?
***When our eyes become fixed on self, the cross is a dread, it drains us. But when our eyes are fixed on Jesus it’s a JOY! Because we are fulfilling our designed purpose!***
It should be a JOY for us to endure the cross. When our focus is right, JOY wells up inside of us and BURSTS forth as a living river!!!
When our eyes become fixed and fashioned on “self” we lose sight of the goal!
Jesus was ALWAYS about the Father’s work and will without complaint.
In Galatians 6:17 The Apostle Paul says, “I bear on my body the brand marks. Of Jesus!”
As people of God, we all have scars and brand marks! Wear them well! Use them to fuel you NOT drain you.
BIG TRUTH how are we to set our mind on things above?
- By fixing our eyes on Jesus!
- Running the race, He has called us to.
- Not getting entangled in sin.
- Shedding things/ and people that hinder us.
- Bear the scars and wear them well.
- Be about the Father’s Work.
- Have JOY while doing it!
Meditate on these truths day and night! Write them on the tablets of your hearts. Persevere!!! RUN!!! Run with all your MIGHT!! With your eyes on Jesus!!!